October 04, 2010

Always A First - Featured Writer Dawn Larson-Rainforth

I met Dawn through the Bella Rosa blog.  I haven't known her for long, but I get the feeling that she has a heart of GOLD, and the mental capacity to do amazing things.  I always love it when people make comments on the blog - and Dawn has kept me writing.  I look forward to many years of a new friendship with my new buddy.  She proves to all of us that there is always a time for FIRSTS.  First 5K, first bike race, and first triathlon.  Thanks for all you do, and making women know that anything is possible if we just have desire.
Always A First - Featured Writer Dawn Larson-Rainforth
2 summers ago, a friend of mine mentioned she was entering a 5km race in her home city.  I was in awe.  When she said she was entering a 10km...I could hardly imagine doing such a distance.  I could hardly run 3km without having to stop every other minute!
Then came the day when she called up and asked me to join her.  I was shocked!  Me?  A person who only had distant memories of the Cross-Country Running Club in high school....coming in last in the only race I signed up for?  With her reassurance that it was a "Walk or Run 10km" distance....I could walk whenever I wanted to- I decided I would join her. I was good at walking!

It ended up being the hottest day that summer. From what I can remember....I did try to run a lot of it, and I think I had heatstroke at the end of the 1 hour and 10 minute ordeal.  Little did I know it was the beginning of my love for running...and a whole lot of other things......

Fast forward to this summer.
10 race bibs later....and I felt ready for more.  When someone mentioned a Triathlon....I was in.  Why not?  I loved to bike and swim just as much as run.  Put them together and you have a pretty well-rounded race on your hands...'er....feet.  I trained a bit over the summer.  With the "thought" of a September Triathlon in my mind...I biked Saturday mornings, ran 3 to 4 times a week, and swam a few mornings.  I told everyone I knew I was "going to do my first Triathlon" in the fall.  But I never signed up.  I kept training, kept on "bragging"....but something held me back.  I felt so unsure of myself.  What WAS I thinking...doing all 3 sports in a couple hours back-to-back (to back)?  Besides...I was a mother of 4 kids. There wasn't time!  I felt older than I really was and "out of the game" compared to all the "elites" out there.  What was I thinking......me?  I was NOT an athlete!

One night I was laying there....trying to get up enough nerve to sign up online...a thought hit me.  If I hadn't of tried that 10km race with my friend a couple years back...I wouldn't have 10 race bibs and a few medals pinned to my wall.  I wouldn't be able to say I knocked 11 minutes off my 10km run.  I wouldn't be able to say I had ran 2 races on incredible mountain trails with magestic mountains as the backdrop.  I got up and signed on.  It was done.  I had a few weeks to really "get ready".

To make a long story (kind of) short.....
I TRI-ed it!
I Did it and FINISHED!

I made it through the scariest (Open Water) swim ever..... I hopped on my (borrowed) race bike and pedaled my 20km to the run Transition.....And I ran the 5km Trail Run to the finish line....where I crossed the Finish Line and the only thought I could think (after I caught my breath and felt my legs slowly return)...was that I DID it...and I wanted to do it again.

Now....
I have another race bib on the wall.  Along with a picture of me crossing the Finish, and all I can think is that I want to do it again next summer-
an Olympic Distance next July.
And who knows- after that ....there's always a Half Ironman Distance......then there's the Ironman......

Dawn Larson-Rainforth

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

HANDBUILD BIKES TO FIT YOU!

Welcome to a new attitude in women's cycling and a first in women's specific titanium and steel custom bikes. We know females....because we are females. All women share a common interest. We want to feel comfortable, confident, and strong on our bikes. We also want to look good while riding hard. At Bellarosa we build bikes to fit you using only the finest materials. Our bikes our built in house one at a time from start to finish. 100% handbuilt in the U.S.A. So guess what? We no longer have to ride boy bikes. It's alright to want to ride a bike designed specifically for you. At Bellarosa we can build your dreams.

Map my RIDE

Bike Maintenance Clinic 101

Bike Maintenance Clinic 101
Coming Soon

Cycling Class

Bella Rosa Cyling Class
In the area? Come spin with us.

Monday - 5:45 a.m.

Wednesday - 5:45 a.m.

Search This Blog